Chia seeds are all the rage lately – but they have earned their bragging rights! And yes these seeds and the seeds for chia pets are one in the same…
But here’s why you should incorporate this superfood into your diet:
- FIBER: High in both soluble & insoluble fiber – which makes you feel full longer, keeps you regular, and aids in digestion.
- PROTEIN: Possess all the essential amino acids – making it a complete protein! (excellent source of protein for vegetarians)
- BEST IN CLASS: Chia seeds provide the highest source of protein, between 19 to 23% protein by weight, when compared to other grains and seeds.
- HYDRATING PROPERTIES: Can absorb up to 9x their volume in water! So digest these guys before a workout to help keep your body hydrated!
- STAY FULL FEELING: The water-retention gel-forming powers of chia seeds aids to slow you digestion and steady your blood sugar levels!
- OMEGA O-MY: Of course these guys are also an excellent source of Omega 3’s (ALA and LA)
- ICING ON THE CAKE: obviously chia seeds also contain a whole slew of vitamins including; calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and zinc
The Mayan’s really were onto something when they named this seed, “Chia” is Mayan for “Strength” : )
Good things really do come in small packages!
Try adding these to your yogurt, energy balls, pancakes, salads, cookies, sprinkle onto hummus or other veggie dips, or into sautéed vegetables!